Work has progressed very quickly. The site is now completely cleared and the foundations have been dug. An earlier hiccup with Building Regulations dictated a deeper reinforced concrete slab for a base which resulted in much deeper footings and much more earth being removed. Latest pictures attached showing the steel required for the concrete slab and a few pictures showing the outline of the base which gives an indication of its size. The latter of which raised an eyebrow from Mrs W! The garden now is looking like the Somme in 1915.
We used a modified set of Pike & Shotte to use Noel’s excellent Foundry Renaissance figures to game an encounter between the Italian city sates. One side was elected to be the attacker and were given an almost two to one advantage in pike units (although inferior quality). The defenders were given a couple pieces of artillery and a few more arquebusiers. Deployment was done, one unit at a time with each side throwing a dice – the higher of which placed a unit.
The first shots of the game by artillery caused early casualties. The attacker moved his line of halberdiers and arquebusiers forward to engage and disrupt their opposition to soften them up for their pike. The attackers cavalry on the left flank however decided to have “a brew” for several turns before following out the C & Cs orders to attack thanks to some very poor command dice. The defenders threw in their cavalry on their left flank early and wiped out a few units before being routed by a mass of pikes. The attacker’s halberdiers and arquebusiers commander decided to have a long lunch for 5 turns and seemed incapable of ordering his units forward (again thanks to some appalling command dice rolls).
Finally the attackers left flank cavalry did move and swept away their opposition thanks entirely to superior numbers whilst the attackers front line finally engaged and weight of numbers told in the end. A valiant effort by the defenders but numbers won the day for the attacker despite their incompetent commanders!
A requirement for larger rooms for my children resulted in a "family" request to convert my loft wargames room into 2 bedrooms. Not wanting to be without a wargames room I negotiated for the creation of a new room in the garden. My architect called it a hobby room but more worrying Mrs W described it as a Garden Summer House! To save any further land grab from the family it was christened the "War Room" to avoid any confusion over its use. Although with the amount of cabinets being built to hold my figures and terrain it has been suggested that it becomes the Cabinet(ry) War Room.
After a year of work putting together plans for the loft, working out the war room size, layout what it looked like, getting planning permission, selecting cabin manufactures and appointing builders the work has finally started on the War Room - Saturday 18th January ( the day in 1520 that Christian II of Denmark & Norway defeats Swedes at Lake Asunde).
Attached are a few pictures showing the removal of the shed, the removal of he kids play house and the start of the footings.
Here are some pictures from a recent ACW game we played using the historical forces from day two of The Second Battle of Bull Run or Second Manassas (August 28–30, 1862). However they were deployed as the players saw fit on a different battlefield layout.
The Confederate players opted for a even deploment across the battlefield whilst the Union forces were more thickly deployed in their centre and left. Both sides delpoyed behind a screen that was erected down the middle of the table to give a little bit of surprise to both sides.
The Confederates marginally outnumbered in troops but significantly outgunned decided to hold in the centre and right and launch a left hook. The Union forces advanced on their left to start with and pushed forward in the centre. The confederates held in the centre and their right with some great melee results curtsey of some lucky dice rolls from Phil - although their shooting was far from effective! The Confederate left hook run out of steam by the end of the evening and the fight was declared a draw.
A few close up snaps of the action are attached.
Figures are 15mm from a number of manufacturers but a large proportion coming from Essex, Peter Pig and AB figures.
A lone picture of a recent ECW game we played using Rob's 28mm figures. These are from a number of manufacturers but mainly from Renegade and Bicorne. For this game the rules we used were Forlorn Hope. Getting the right set of ECW rules is proving a challenge for our club!